Monday, November 23, 2009

The Local Market

One of my favorite things to do these days is to go to the market on the weekend.  I call Sunday, Chicken Sunday, since I love to buy a roasted chicken and some vegetables to make a salad for lunch.  The market is only two small blocks away and even though they have it on other days of the week, it's best to go on the weekend since ALL of the vendors show up.  Typically on a Sunday morning, I'll get up, get ready, grab my market bag, and head out the door. They close the street that leads up to the plaza where the market is set up and you can walk down the middle which somehow still feels a bit strange.  All of the shops, cafes, bakeries, and restaurants are open during the morning on Sundays which isn't typical but they get a lot of business since there are tons of people that come to the market.

I have a routine that I've adopted when going to the market. I start out at the farthest section which is the flea market where you can find antiques, old postcards, and used books.  I then move through the swap meet part of it that has newer items and clothing stands.  I end up in the food section where I'll buy some vegetables, bread, cheese, a roasted chicken, or some Moroccan style couscous or Spanish paella. Lastly, I'll buy a bouquet of flowers for my apartment that will usually last till the following Sunday.

All in all, it's a leisurely Sunday stroll where I can take in all of the sights and enjoy the hustle and bustle of the market. I've bought a few books, some vases, old postcards, and even a cute pair of earrings in the past couple of months, not to mention the yummy roasted chicken. Hurray for Chicken Sunday!!








1 comment:

Celly said...

Okay, here's what we're gonna do. You ready?! Write this down...

You:
1. Go to the flea market section.
2. Take a picture of each stand.
3. Run back to your apartment and email them to me.
4. Call me.

Me:
1. I inspect each picture carefully.
2. Answer the phone.
3. Tell you what items I want to buy.
4. STOP vomiting blood.