Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mosaic Art Class

One of my goals during my year abroad was to do more creative/personal enrichment activities. I wanted to take a cooking class and a mosaic art class, for example. Well, a few weeks ago I finally got around to looking for a mosaic art class here in Rouen and I came across a very talented local artist on the internet, Onurb Ohn. I called Onurb and got a really good vibe from him and decided to take his class.  Plus, I talked my friend, Ray, into taking them with me. We have class every Friday for two hours and I've really enjoyed working on my first project. Since I'm a perfectionist, this class has helped me let go of the need to have things be perfect.  As my mosaic art teacher says, "Imperfection equals perfection!".  This is sort of the motto of the class and I keep repeating it over and over.  Believe me, it helps, especially when you feel like your project looks like what a fifth grader would do in art class!!

Here are some pictures of my project.  I'm working on this for my sister, by the way. Hope you like it, Aracelly!

Week One was an introduction to the course and the preparing of the base with cement and tulle. 

Week Two:



Week Three:




Week Four:





2 comments:

ONÜRB ÖHN said...

NOT TO BAD AS BIGINER AS YOU ARE

THE ART TO STICK STUFFS ON A THING
To get a design made of colored tiles inlaid in mortar.
We use for that little pieces of 1 cm side names tiles. We stick them one by one leaving a space of 1 mm between each tile named joint. The more we respect that rules of art, the more we will be close to a classical idea of mosaic. But of course, all rules are as much fascinating when we transgress it. We are the only masters of our own actions. It is only up to us to leave free our imagination and creativity.Everything is permitted; our creativity has only for limitation our imagination.

AND DO NOT FORGET IMPERFECTION IS PERFECTION IN MOSAIC ART.

AMICALEMENT NOTRE ONüRB

Celly said...

I am so touched, dear sister! I absolutely LOVE IT! I don't see any imperfections in your perfect mosaic art!!